Saturday, December 19, 2009

Buying materials for Montessori at home

I don't have gobs and gobs of money to spend on materials and I assume you don't either. Why when you search Montessori materials does every little wooden, simple thing cost over $50? It's hard when you don't really know what you need and everything labeled Montessori costs so much. I went to Target the other day on a search for cheap, cool things to use for activities and I wasn't disappointed!

I got a set of 6 pinch bowls on clearance for $4.10. I didn't know what pinch bowls were, I guess I am not much of cook, but they are used to hold small amounts of condiments or other foods you don't need a lot of. The ones I got were all different colors but apparently they do not exist on all of the internet because I can not find the brand (Epicura) anywhere! The ones below are similar to what I got. They can be used for transfer activities like spooning dried beans or droppers of water. Or you can put a spoonful of ice cream in each one and have an ice cream sampler like Ryann insisted on last night. Good thing the bowls are small!
Curious Chef® 4 Piece Silicone Pinch Bowl SetCurious Chef® 4 Piece Silicone Pinch Bowl Set

I also got this small pitcher for $2.99. There was a white one for $3.99, but I thought it might help her learn to pour easier if she can see the contents. Generally used for creamer, it's the perfect size for little hands. It is apparently in store-only at Target but Amazon sells it for just a bit more. You can use the pitcher to practice pouring.

Anchor Hocking Presnece Collection Presence Glass CreamerAnchor Hocking Presnece Collection Presence Glass Creamer

While we were in the kitchen section, Ryann insisted we get a turkey baster. I think we should be able to practice transferring water with it. She thinks it's a microphone,she calls it a "turkey phone." It was $1.99

Harold Imports Turkey BasterHarold Imports Turkey Baster

All-in-all I spent $9.08 for some pretty useful materials! My next purchases are going to be trays and rugs. I'll talk about uses for those in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment